The Sohail Castle is located at the mouth of the Fuengirola river, over a little, isolated hill 38 metres over the sea level. The excellent geographic characteristics of this area enabled, from ancient times, a continuous flow and settlement of Punics and Romans.
A first settlement from the periods of the Caliphs can be identified upon the ruins. Later, during the 12th century, the Almoravids built a fortress of irregular shape. On 1485, the castle is occupied by the Christian army. From that moment on, the military enclosure undergoes an inevitable re-adaptation of its architecture, such as the replacement of the crank axle entrance for a direct entrance, the elimination of one of its eastern towers for the construction of a platform for cannons or the re-ordering of the south-eastern angle of the wall, with a bastion wall, after its demolition by the Napoleonic army in the War of Independence.
The work carried out in recent years by the Vocational School of the City of Fuengirola has enabled the recuperation of the Sohail Castle as a place where people from Fuengirola can meet their history and as an area in which to celebrate different cultural events, such as the famous Fuengirola Town Festival, the Medieval Market or the Beer Festival.More information